½ block (140 g) extra firm tofu
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
2 tsp liquid smoke
½ tsp maple syrup
1 pinch black pepper ground
2 tsp oil for frying
1. Wrap the tofu in a clean cloth or paper towel and gently squeeze it to press out some excess water. This will help the tofu soak up the marinade better.
2. Slice the tofu into strips. Thin slices make more crispy, slightly thicker slices more chewy vegan bacon.
3. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade - soy sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup, and black pepper. Dip the tofu slices in the marinade and leave to marinate in a shallow dish or bowl for at least 15 minutes.
4. In a large frying pan, heat up the oil on medium-high heat.
Add the marinated tofu slices, reserving the marinade. Fry for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and slightly crisp.
5. If your frying pan is not big enough, cook all the tofu in batches, then add it all back into the pan before continuing to the next step.
6. Turn the heat down to medium and pour on the remaining marinade. Toss the tofu around in the marinade.
7. Continue to gently cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated and the tofu strips have turned dark brown.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 145 calories, 3.7g carbohydrates, 9.7g fat, 10g protein